Taskforce Selection Guidelines
(Please note: these are currently still in draft form, and will be reviewed/formally agreed to at the next TYGA AGM. At this stage, they only apply to the 2018 application process.)
Formation of selection panel
- The number of members and composition of Taskforce, and the convenor of the Program, will be chosen by a panel of five people (‘the selection panel’).
- The selection panel will be appointed, and any vacancies in the panel will be filled, at the discretion of the TYGA executive.
- The selection panel may comprise only:
- members of the TYGA executive who do not intend to apply for selection to Taskforce;
- the convenor of the previous Youth Parliament Program, provided they do not intend to apply for selection to Taskforce; or
- past members of Taskforce or alumni of the Youth Parliament Program, provided they do not intend to apply for selection to Taskforce.
- The final composition of the selection panel will be determined prior to applications for selection opening.
- Any member of the selection panel who submits an application for selection to Taskforce must withdraw from the selection panel.
- Applicants for selection to Taskforce will be required to fill out an application form (‘the application form’).
- The content of the application form will be determined by the selection panel, having regard to the selection criteria.
- The application form will be open for a minimum of two weeks.
- The application form will allow Applicants at least 500 words to answer all questions.
- Applicants for the position of convenor will be required to respond to additional questions, and will be granted an additional minimum of 500 words in total to do so.
- With reference to the selection criteria, the selection panel may place conditions on application for, or participation in, Taskforce. These conditions will be advertised on the application form.
- In order to determine the number of members, composition and convenor of Taskforce, the selection panel will hold a meeting (‘the selection meeting’).
- The selection meeting will take place after the application form has closed, and will review all applications submitted to the form.
- The selection meeting will consider for selection only applicants who have completed the application form within the period in which it was open.
- During the selection meeting, any member of the selection panel who believes themselves to have a conflict of interest with an applicant will disclose this conflict and will not be permitted to contribute in any way to discussion concerning that applicant unless:
- they have disclosed their conflict of interest with that applicant prior to doing so; and
- the selection panel requests their input with regard to a specific matter.
Mandatory selection criteria
- In determining the composition of Taskforce during the selection meeting, the selection panel will have regard to:
- the capacity of each applicant to work as part of a team;
- the capacity of each applicant to commit meaningfully to membership of Taskforce, and to deliver on that commitment in an organised and reliable way;
- the capacity of each applicant to engage appropriately with participants in the Program;
- the particular skills, qualities and experience each applicant would contribute to the Taskforce;
- the ability of the Taskforce as a whole to collaborate productively;
- the maintenance of an appropriate balance between members of Taskforce living in Hobart and members living elsewhere, bearing in mind that certain roles cannot be done via distance; and
- the diversity of the Taskforce as a whole, with reference to factors including but not limited to applicants’:
- Gender; and
- Physical location.
- In determining the composition of Taskforce during the selection meeting, the selection panel may have regard to:
- whether applicants will be living primarily in Tasmania during the year in which the Program will take place;
- any other factors the selection panel considers relevant.
Selection of convenor
- In selecting the convenor during the selection meeting, the selection panel will have regard to:
- the criteria listed under ss 15 and 16;
- the capacity of each applicant to lead a team;
- the personal/professional reference provided by the applicant;
- The selection panel may interview applicants for the position of convenor if the written selection process is inadequate to establish candidate of best fit. The interview may take place in person or by phone.
Notification of selection
- The selection panel will notify all applicants of the final composition of Taskforce.
- Notification given under s 20 will specify the address to which requests under s 22 may be directed.
- Any applicant who wishes to receive feedback on their application may apply to the selection panel.
- The selection panel will provide a response to any requests received under s 22. This response will:
- be delivered to the applicant within one week of the panel’s receipt of their request;
- specify the selection criteria which contributed to the applicant’s success or failure, including, if relevant, the particular factors considered under s 17(b); and
- provide the applicant, if unsuccessful, with advice as to the manner in which their application could be improved.
Tasmanian Youth Government Association Constitution